Sunday, August 4, 2013

New Friends


Yesterday was the best day so far. It was “Friendship Day” which means that people get together with their friends, exchange bracelets and generally have fun. I got to meet a huge group of my host brother Rohit’s friends. Audrey and an exchange student from Mexico named Tamara were also there and the three of us have become fast friends. It was also my first time on a motorbike. I haven’t explained very much about the roads here, but a majority of the vehicles are “two-wheelers” (which is what everyone calls them). They’re smaller and can maneuver into tiny places, so they were basically made for Indian roads. Anyway, motorbikes are also my new favorite mode of transportation. It was a little terrifying at first (every time we turned a corner I was sure I’d fall off) and I held onto the bar behind the seat tightly. Eventually I got more used to it and it is completely exhilarating. It makes me sad that there’s nothing like that (other than maybe motorcycles) in the US, but I’ve vowed to ride one as much as possible.
            With Rohit’s friends we first met at a park and then walked around the neighborhood. It was a little overwhelming to meet everyone all at once, but they were so friendly and welcoming it didn’t matter that Tamara, Audrey and I couldn’t remember anyone’s names. After walking around and talking it was decided that we were going to McDonald’s. Normally at home I don’t eat McDonalds, but I was just excited for some meat and familiar American food. My host family, the Tilaks, is vegetarian for the most part (like nearly half of India). Although I’ve considered becoming vegetarian after 5 days of it I’m certain I wouldn’t survive. I love (almost) all of the food here, but I find myself craving meat a lot. In addition to getting my meat fix I was also excited to try McDonald’s because, like many American chains here, it is “Indianized”. Which means in addition to many of the favorites (Filet-o-Fish, Chicken Nuggets) there are Indian versions, like the Maharaja Mac and McChicken Masala sandwich. The McDonalds looked about the same from the outside although it was very new and two floors. I ordered my personal favorite, the Chicken McNuggets with fries and a coke.
While I enjoyed the delicious, and familiar, food I had fun talking with all of Rohit’s friends about anything and everything. The boys asked me about what American sports teams I followed and what music and books I enjoy. With the girls we talked about school here, the different languages and they boasted about all of the amazing malls. We also passed around people’s phones comparing American, Mexican and Indian movie actors and talked about movies in India. Of course we mentioned that we want to learn Indian cooking and in return Audrey and I promised to make a big Thanksgiving meal for everyone. It was amazingly easy to talk to everyone, especially since their English is nearly perfect, and it reminded me that if you're friendly it isn't hard to make new friends.
Me, Tamara and Audrey

With my new friends outside McDonald's

I’m so glad that I’ve gotten to meet them because once Rohit leaves for Mexico in a few days it means I will have some people to hang out with. A song that has been running through my head the last few days is "I Can Tell That We Are Gonna Be Friends" by the White Stripes. (If you don't know it I suggest looking it up, it's a good song.) Not only do I have new Indian friends, I will make more friends at my new school soon and I will get to know other exchange students here. Even bigger than that I know that India and I are going to be friends. I really, really, really, really love it here and it hasn't even been a week. Although I know there will be ups and downs to come through it all India will be my friend. 



No comments:

Post a Comment